Friday, October 06, 2006

Moving Around Doctors

Well, I think God really took the final comment in my last post, a bit too seriously, and so I was showed how difficult life could suddenly turn out to be, and living on could have hurdles coming from nowhere. Truly, I fell sick, and that too in a clean place like Denmark, something hard to imagine, and equally hard to go through. It all started with some bit of fever, and loss of appetite, but gradually vomiting and other symptoms began appearing. Something for sure was wrong with my digestive system. And then came the final symptom, excessive yellow everywhere [:P]. It was then that doubts started occuring to me and the doctors that the liver has been infected, or else it could be more serious than that.

I'll get back to that later on, but before that, I would like to comment on the Danish System of treatment of patients. I am very surprised after having gone through all this, and it is something no one of you might be expecting. But the fact of the matter is that, the Danish System of treatment is very "inefficient". I was in a bad shape for a week or so, and all the time I was moving around to meet doctors and get to know what was the thing I was suffering from. The very first time, I met an emergency doctor, in a hospital here. He said I will give you some tablets for vomiting, and you should be fine. If it still persists, then you may need to contact us again. The tablet made me a bit more better, for sure, but the yellowish color started appearing then. I again went to the same emergency ward the next day, and to my surprise, there was a new doctor there. But fine, I mentioned everything to him and then he said, friend, this might be Hepatitis A or Hepatitis B or something else also. He was ofcourse just speculating by looking at the symptoms, and then he gave the right suggestion: Go to your own doctor, and get a blood test done..!!!!

In Denmark, everyone registered to the Municipality, is associated with a particular doctor, living around the locality. This is nice, since the Municipality gives you your doctor name, and for any health problems, you have to show your face to that doctor only. So, in a way, it is the personal doctor, something like in India, not totally though. Moreover, every registered person, is automatically insured medically. So, neither the doctor would charge anything from you, and nor would any hospital, in case you need to see some other doctor.

The case with me was different, since I had been in Denmark for just a month. So my Health Card was just on the way, but not with me. Consequently, I did not know who was my doctor yet. But the doctor in the hospital asked me to call the Municipality and know from them who my doctor was. I did that the next morning, and fixed an appointment with my doctor for the afternoon. That went well, but not so much since I had to pay money, since I was not medically insured until the next 2 weeks. But that didn't matter, I needed to see some results, which could make me aware of what exactly was the illness. But alas, it took longer than I imagined.

The meeting with the doctor was good, he took some samples and fixed an appointment for me at the same hospital the next morning. I dont know why the hospital, and not again with him, but he said he would be sending the blood results there, and the doctors there would assist me further. I agreed. I was ill all this time, in terms of bad physical strength and lost appetite. Still I had to run around, and meet doctors and long to see some results.

The next morning, I went to the hospital, and met the doctor there. Ofcourse, again, he had to be someone different. But he was cool, since he had been to India, and knew matters concerning Indians. He did a brief check up and asked about everything that happened since day One, and I said it all. And then, when I thought they might show me theblood results of yesterday, he said, we have yet not received anything from your doctor, and we would be taking our tests today. Well, I had nothing to say except, fine and thankyou. Also amused by then regarding the changing doctors, I asked him what this matter is, why is the system like this. And he was quite optimistic to that and said it helps since now the same case gets a lots of different view points. He did know the Indian System, and how one would only visit a single doctor most of the times, but he said this is different but not bad. I nodded a yes.

The tests were a bit disgusting, since the doctor asked the nurses for a lot of them. I had to see 13 small bottles of blood drawn from my arteries, something I didn't want to happen, atleast then. But then this was required. Hmm...the next non-impressive about the system here comes now. For the results, I thought I might have to come again tomorrow or in a couple of days, but this was not to be so. The nurse said we are giving you an appointment for a week later...!!!!! And I was thrilled, meaning I just could not know what the hell was I going through for a damn week. What should I eat and how should I take care of myself, if I dont know what is the damn thing. I requested her to make it early, so I got it a couple of days before the previous appointment.

Now in my mind, I was thinking: Fine, I think I would have to take care of myself, these people are of no use. And went back to the room, with some positive thoughts. But there was something more instored. The next day, I had planned with a friend, that we would go to see a laptop for myself. So, I was all excited. Note, till now I was beginning to get better, and my health was gradually getting back to normal. But, suddenly, a call gives me a nightmare. It is the nurse on the other end, she says, Rajesh, some of your blood tests have been received, and the doctors here feel you should come down to the hospital immediately, and see them, the blood results are not very good...!!!! Goodness Me..!!!!

I had nothing to say, and think also, except, that I was in some bad problem. One day ago, these people gave me an appointment for a week later, without thinking. And now, suddenly they call me and say come over dude, you are arrested with some problems. I had no clue what this System was like, and I was just going here and there, for some reason, which seemed to be meaningless. So, for the moment, I had to go to the hospital, and see what is the next thing that I have to go through.

I think that next thing should be coming soon. Though its all in my mind now, and I am much fine right now, since its been 10 days to this incident, I would share it all in the next Episode. So keep guessing till then...[:P]

Rajesh
+ 45 31 75 40 30

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home