Sunday, May 20, 2007

Fun with the Sun

This is Denmark - one of the countries in the northern hemisphere. Quiet far away from the equator, and quite abnormal thus for the people coming from the equator. When I landed here last August, everything seemed so normal - so much like what I had thought about. It took me time from then to make myself abreast with the idiosyncracies of this part of the world - until they were out 'in the open' to observe. And the most typical and amazing phenomenon of this part of the world - the schedule of the sun!!

While I was coming back from work last weekend, it was 10:30 PM. And to staringly believe, there was still light over me in the sky. This is just still not the end of it all - the length of the day would keep growing till the longest day is attained in the end of June. Though I never remembered the dates for the solstices - who would when in India the solstices are just the same. These dates are relevant only in these parts of the world. But, just imagine this scene itself. It starts getting bright in the morning from 4 and goes on till 11 in the night. In countries like Iceland, its even 'worse' - just around 2 hours of darkness in a day in summer.

I was speaking with one of my Professors from my undergraduate alma mater, and the voice from Gandhinagar said - 'wahan pe roshini hain ki nahin'!!! He knew it well, it tends to get darker to the extreme in winters. Summer may be bright like this, and winters would be just opposite. In December, as far as I can remember, there used to be light only for around 6 hours, from 9 or so till 3. Think of the kind of mindset one would be in during such a phase - total depression! You wake up and its dark, you walk out to your class and its dark, you have lunch, phew - its greyish, and you walk back home its dark again! Its these yellow lights everywhere that also seem so unpleasant! Though have to get used to them somehow.

Amidst all this, I was just trying to construct the 3D movements of the earth around the sun which causes such a massive imbalance between the equator and the poles. Hmm, I need to get back and learn some geography, while you people post me some answers! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger sriram said...

wow i can imagine how it must be....

its not tht worse here..but its light till abt 9 in the night..and i've come to like tht :)

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home